Saturday, June 13, 2009

Five Ws and One H

I keep six honest serving-men(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When And How and Where and Who.
- Rudyard Kipling

The maxim of the five Ws and one H is a basic tool used in information gathering. It is/was used extensively in journalism, where a perfect piece would satisfactorily address all these 6 questions.So also in literature, academic research, criminal investigations, technical writing, business analysis etc.

On a more interesting note, the autocomplete on Google's Search Engine came up with some fun stuff. You enter the first word of your query, and it throws up possible search strings. A compilation of strings which topped the list when I typed in the 5 Ws and 1 H:

1. Who wants to be a millionaire ?
2. What is twitter ?
3. When is easter 2009 ?
4. Where the wild things are ?
5. Why is the sky blue ?
6. How to tie a tie ?

So what if I dont know how to tie a tie ? I still score a decent 5 out of 6 !

1 comment: